Monday, July 29, 2013

Shrimp Tamarind Based Soup or Sinigang na Hipon


          This is one of the favorite Filipino dishes and is also perfect for cold seasons here in the US. I used shrimp and only the first nine ingredients because the rest were not available when I made the one shown in the picture above. Thankfully, my husband Michael, still liked it.
          As my Mom Helen taught me, there are other versions of this dish, which will be perfect for pork belly and fresh fishes like Milk fish and Tilapia. Visit this page everynow and then cause I will be posting them too in the future.

Recipe Yield: Servings for two to three

Ingredients:
15 to 20 pieces shrimps, peeled and deveined
1 med. sized tomato, sliced
1/4 large onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, sliced
3 cups water or water with boiled shrimp shells, discarded after boiling
1 tsp. Olive oil
salt and ground black pepper to taste
6 leaves or more of Napa cabbage, cut in half, length-wise
Dashes of Sinigang or Tamarind Based Soup mix to taste,
1 piece Chinese green long pepper*
1/4 cup green beans, cut in half *

Procedure:
1. Pour water or the shrimp broth in a pot and add tomato, onion, garlic, Olive oil and ground black pepper. Bring to a boil.
2. Place Napa cabbage after boiling. If all the other ingredients are available, add the green long Pepper and green beans or long beans. Simmer until leaves are soft. Season it wih Sinigang or Tamarind Based Soup Mix and some salt.
3. Turn the heat off. Add the shrimp to the pot of Sinigang and give it a stir.
4. Pour some Sinigang Soup in a serving bowl, serve and enjoy!

This is a a Lannie Armstrong recipe inspired by my mom's version of Sinigang soup. Feel free to share and use it for your home cooking.



Food for the Soul

Do all things without grumbling or disputing;  so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent,children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world,  holding fast the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I will have reason to glory because I did not run in vain nor toil in vain.  But even if I am being poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I rejoice and share my joy with you all.  You too, I urge you, rejoice in the same way and share your joy with me.

Philippians 2:14-18, NASB

No comments:

Post a Comment